How to use Kernel level mutex in FreeBSD 4.8

jitendra pande jpande_techinfo at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 07:51:53 PST 2004

Hi Dag-Erling.....

Thanks a lot for the information.

I tried using the splimp(..) and splx(..) within my driver and it works
for the fisrt go.....

But when i tried to do any other activity like pinging another machine/ starting a application then my client application using the driver crashes. The behavior is very
erratic...in some cases it works even when doing any other operation/ but
in another situataion it just crashes......

can u help me why this is happening......is there anything else i need
to do.. any other way for mutual exclusion.... or some kernel level semaphore and so.....

also any idea that in FreeBSD how does one determine the spl level at
which a device's interrupt routines execute

Thanks a lot for ur help....

Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> wrote:
jitendra pande writes:
> I am trying to use kernle level mutex in my driver for FreeBSD 4.8.
> I tried searching for kernel level mutex but couldn't find any
> information on the same.

The FreeBSD 4 kernel is single-threaded. You don't need locking
except to protect against interrupts (see spl(9))

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no