IPC nsswitch implementation

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 5 16:38:01 PST 2004

[We need to pick a list and stop cross-posting.  I pick `arch at freebsd.org'.]

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:41:33PM +0300, Michael Bushkov wrote:
> The problem of using Darwin's lookupd was discussed some time ago in the
> freebsd-arch mailing list. It seems to me that the way to port Darwin's
> lookupd on FreeBSD was not found, was it?

Jordan's message was the first I recall mentioning lookupd.
I took a quick peek, seems neat.  I'd like to take some more time to
examine the APIs it presents.  I also intend to look at what you have.

> Our implementation of lookupd is a demonstration
> of the approach for the FreeBSD-specific IPC implementation
> of nsswitch. Its architecture is
> flexible enough to implement all the features you have mentioned.
> The version that we have sent isn't a finished project. It's in the
> development stage and caching is currently our main task. We hope to make
> caching in the nearest future.
> We'll try to release stable and quite full version (i mean caching, LDAP
> module and so on) as soon as we can.

You're not going to have to write your own modules (like LDAP), are you?
That seems like a big drawback.

> Our questions are:
> 1) What do you think about our whole approach to the IPC implementation
> development?
> 2) Is there an opportunity to use our implementation of lookupd in the
> FreeBSD project?
>
> We'll be glad to hear your opinion.

I'll certainly look at what you have and send comments to this list,
but I'm afraid it won't be immediate.

You may also want to ping NetBSD guys.

Cheers,
--