Confusion about process states and invariants

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 26 16:38:55 GMT 2004

Over the last two weeks, I've seen several reports of panics relating to
code making incorrect assumptions about process state, generally relating
to the "p_ucred" pointer in new and dying processes.  In particular, a
number of pieces of code assume that if a process is reachable by the all
process list (or other process lists), p_ucred will be valid and non-NULL
if the process lock is held on the process.  This results in possible NULL
pointer dereferences in the PRS_NEW state, and also during the tear-down
in kern_wait().  At first glance, the easy answer would appear to be
"check for p_ucred to be NULL", but I'm actually of the opinion that I'd
prefer we have the non-NULL p_ucred invariant actually hold true.  This
would permit security checks to be performed properly during those
windows.  I'm not very familiar with our process state and locking, but if
someone with a more qualified background in that area could comment on the
current issue, that would be useful.

FYI, two of the reported problems were in sysctl_kern_proc() and
linprocfs.  One of those has been patched by checking p_ucred for NULL;
the other has not.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research