Random-ness when booting into single-user

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sat Jul 31 19:27:20 PDT 2004

At 10:02 PM -0400 7/31/04, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>At 6:47 PM -0700 7/31/04, Steve Kargl wrote:
>>On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 09:37:15PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>>
>>>  Happily I have not run into this, and I think I would like to
>>>  make sure that I don't run into it -- even though I obviously
>>>  don't remember any of the details...
>>
>>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/random/randomdev.c

Which had the companion change at:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/random/randomdev_soft.c

This suggests another tactic.  randomdev_soft.c could go back to
having random.sys.seeded default to 0, and maybe init.c could
change it to 1 (if it is 0) before dropping into single-user mode,
and then change it back (if it had been 0) before coming up in
multi-user mode.  [assuming that can be done]

That way we wouldn't have to change anything in /etc/rc.d, and
we have something safer than my previous suggestion.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu