newer versions of gnu diff and patch

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Jul 30 12:18:35 PDT 2004

At 12:56 PM -0600 7/30/04, Greg Lewis wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 30, 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > What we would like to do is to move to a bsd-licensed version of
>>  patch, which I am supposed to be working on in my copious spare
>>  time...
>
>OpenBSD appear to gotten permission from Larry Wall to put patch(1)
>under a BSD license.  They also appear to have made a reasonable
>number of improvements since then, including better POSIX compliance.
>It may be worth looking at :).  I don't know what version of patch
>they started with though.
>
>http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/patch/

Indeed.  Both NetBSD and OpenBSD have BSD-licensed versions of
patch.  That's what I was supposed to start with.  The thing is,
all three versions (Net, Open, Free) have different improvements
to them.  I really should get going on this, but right now my
spare time is spent trying to track down other problems with my
FreeBSD machines...

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu