some PRs

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Mon Jul 19 09:57:31 PDT 2004

On Monday 19 July 2004 16:13, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20040719075952.GG57678 at darkness.comp.waw.pl>
>
>             Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:58:25AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : +> : Even if it is used by some programms, I don't see it in the base
> : system. +> : It can be always implemented as a kernel module and
> : maintained outside +> : the tree.
> : +>
> : +> Given that it is implemented in this driver in about 20 lines, I think
> : +> that it makes sense to have it in the base.  Suggesting it be
> : +> maintained outside of the tree is just plain silly.  It should be
> : +> brought in or abadoned.
> :
> : It isn't even used by one of our 11000 ports and you want to bring it
> : into base system? We don't have other devices in the tree, which are
> : actually used by some ports. I still think, that if a port which is using
> : /dev/full will be created, device should be maintained there.
> : EOT.
>
> I guess my point is that that creates so much more work that it seems
> like overkill.  We often put things into the base system for
> compatibility, but rely on out of system things for higher level
> functionality.

The question to me is, do we really want to support (read fertilize) such a
stupid thing? Given the chance that once we do support it people will use it.
In my opinion it is bad to integrate something into base that we agree is
nothing one should ever have created (at least that's my reading of the
thread so far). I see no user-pessure for this.

I do agree however, that suggesting to maintain something that cannot be done
in userland outside the tree is not a good solution. Still, I feel like this
is something that belongs into the linux compat code, at best (maybe behind
an "option LINUX_STUPIDITY" ....)

/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier at freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet
/ \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign		| Against HTML Mail and News