some PRs

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jul 19 07:14:46 PDT 2004

In message: <20040719075952.GG57678 at darkness.comp.waw.pl>
            Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:58:25AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: +> : Even if it is used by some programms, I don't see it in the base system.
: +> : It can be always implemented as a kernel module and maintained outside
: +> : the tree.
: +>
: +> Given that it is implemented in this driver in about 20 lines, I think
: +> that it makes sense to have it in the base.  Suggesting it be
: +> maintained outside of the tree is just plain silly.  It should be
: +> brought in or abadoned.
:
: It isn't even used by one of our 11000 ports and you want to bring it
: into base system? We don't have other devices in the tree, which are
: actually used by some ports. I still think, that if a port which is using
: /dev/full will be created, device should be maintained there.
: EOT.

I guess my point is that that creates so much more work that it seems
like overkill.  We often put things into the base system for
compatibility, but rely on out of system things for higher level
functionality.

Warner