does FreeBSD still support CPUs without math coprocessors?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Jul 1 12:45:07 PDT 2004

On 2004-07-01 13:36, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des at des.no> wrote:
> Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> writes:
> > The FAQ claims that it does, but ISTR recent discussion about removing
> > the software emulation.  However, a search of the mailing lists, and
> > Google, fails to show anything, so it is completely possible that my
> > memory is playing tricks on me.
>
> It was removed last July (src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES rev 1.1091)

We should probably update this comment then, right?

    # The Numeric Processing eXtension driver.  In addition to this, you
    # may configure a math emulator (see above).  If your machine has a
    # hardware FPU and the kernel configuration includes the npx device
    # *and* a math emulator compiled into the kernel, the hardware FPU
    # will be used, unless it is found to be broken or unless "flags" to
    # npx0 includes "0x08", which requests preference for the emulator.

Taken from a recent src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES file:

$ ident /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES:
     $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES,v 1.1162 2004/06/23 17:33:24 brooks Exp $

- Giorgos