per-device sysctls

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Feb 26 11:51:11 PST 2004

In message <xzpbrnllnj6.fsf at dwp.des.no>, Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=
 writes:

>BTW, the dev tree on my laptop looks like this:
>
>des at des ~% sysctl dev
>dev.nexus0.npx0.%class: npx
>dev.nexus0.npx0.%desc: math processor
>dev.nexus0.npx0.%driver: npx
>dev.nexus0.acpi0.acpi_timer0.%class: acpi_timer
>dev.nexus0.acpi0.acpi_timer0.%desc: 24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz
>dev.nexus0.acpi0.acpi_timer0.%driver: acpi_timer

Just for the record:  Having based this on newbus it only documents
hardware-anchored device drivers.  I don't know if this is going to
be a limitation we will have to address or not, but I think you should
reserve the toplevel name "pseudo" or "sw" or similar as a placeholder
for non-hardware device drivers, just in case.