FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Thu Dec 23 21:01:46 PST 2004

Nikolas Britton wrote:

>>> From a business perspective we look amateurish.

I have held off thus far...

> I REALLY REALLY agree with this point, from the prospective of an
> outsider the website and "Image" conveys a real lack of professionalism,
> which is not true.

No you don't - would you prefer multi-colored windows? A penguin? What?
Are we looking into the geo-political correctness as in the like as the
NetBSD project took?

> I'm looking at the start page for FreeBSD right now and here are the
> things I do not like about it (please don't be offended if I step on
> toe's and ego's, I am only trying to better FreeBSD):

Here we go - Let's just re engineer life as we know it. Lets also not
offend gays, users of color, males, females, users of religion, users of
no religion, users of Windows, users of Linux, users of DOS, users of
NetWare, etc, etc, etc.

> 1. The "FreeBSD" logo is crap, not beastie (he's a keeper!!!, I'll hunt
> you down and do bad things to you if you take him away!), Just the black
> wannabe (and badly done) 3D effect "FreeBSD" part, really, I hate it.
> Redo the whole logo in photoshop with a bold, antialiased modern web
> font: (Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Century Gothic, etc.) and forget the
> whole 3D effect as that is so 90s. Generally all of your logo designs
> are unprofessional (the logos at the bottom of the page: FreeBSD MALL,
> UseNix, Daemon News, and Powered by FreeBSD for example)

You will do no such thing - see above, read the threads on the NetBSD
site as to the redoing of the "logo"

> 2. I cringe when I see Times New Roman, again redo the whole site with a
> modern web font: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Etc. (ever here of Cascading
> Style Sheets?)

CSS? Isnt that a bit outdated? Isnt that more a Windows thing?

> 3. The color scheme is not "complementary" anyone who has been to art
> school or taken design classes will know what I talking about, read up
> about basic color theory here:
> http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-theory-basics.html (again, ever
> here of Cascading Style Sheets??)

Guess what mate - most of us are NOT into art. Get real. Deal with the
OS, not the look and feel of the site. Do I really care if a design has
passion blue opposed to blue?

Do you really thing techies are THAT into pastels? If you want to re
design something (Actually - is sounds like you have been watching way
too much TLC) then get a gig on Monster House.

> 4. I like the Beastie logo on the boot loader screen but ASCII art is
> unprofessional... It would be better if you made the color ASCII beastie
> the default.

Who cares?!?! It's resource friendly tho...

> I have no real issues with the layout of the site and it would be nice
> if the installer was more user friendly but I am content with the way it
> is, maybe you should change the color scheme of the installer to match
> the website?

Snip - not worth repeating.

> FreeBSD is badly in need of a PR/Design/Marketing department.

Maybe you can start, The Queer-Eye for the BSD-Guy.

--
Best regards,
Chris