Propose for Several Dump types

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Wed Dec 15 00:45:11 PST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <cd4370cf04121417446c96319f at mail.gmail.com>, Jun Su writes:
> >On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:48:44 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp
> ><phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> >> Make it an EVENTHANDLER() and dump it in ascii format.
> >                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Don't think the ascii format is a good choose. We can only dump the
> >information like the ones we can get in the KDB. My propose is storing
> >the pages that the stack point is in. Then we can get more useful
> >stack in the userland with the kernel file and kernel symbol.
>
> An ascii format summary is a _great_ format because people can email
> us it without knowing anything else.  We could in fact make it
> a /etc/rc.conf tunable:  "send_panic_reports=YES" and we would
> receive it in email whenever a crash occured.

< SCNR >

let's have a dialog UI to set this knob; sth that might look like this:

 | [ ] Do you really want to (automatically) send crash reports?         |
 | [ ] Are you sure you really want to send them?                        |
 | [ ] Please confirm that the crash reports may be mailed out.          |
 | [ ] Please confirm that a mail client is installed and working.       |
 | [ ] Please confirm that the sender address I will chose is replyable. |
 | [ ] Do you want not to view no details before sending?                |
 | [ ] Never ask me these silly questions again - just do it.            |
 | [ ] Add note that FreeBSD rocks anyway.                               |
 | [ Yes ] [ No ] [ Maybe ] [ Please explain what this all means ]       |

< / SCNR >

*uups* sorry; what I really meant is:
if the knob is turned on then write the data to pre-filled send-pr
understandable text file upon extraction and tell the user sth. like
the following:

To send a report of the last crashdump to FreeBSD developers please use:
 send-pr -f /var/crash/4305834
You will be able to review everything before mailing out.

this can then either go to an extra mailing list or and extra gnats
cateory.