Adding standalone RSA code

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 10 18:05:21 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 08:58:27PM -0800, Colin Percival wrote:
>   I'd like to add a new library for lightweight barebones RSA
> computations, and associated commandline rsa-makekey, rsa-sign,
> and rsa-verify utilities.
..
>   Any objections?

Without a stronger justification than what was given in this thread, I
have to side with Mark Murry and David Schultz.  While your library may
be perfect for your FreeBSD Update; I fear it may become the /usr/src fad
to use your library over OpenSSL, even in cases where speed and HW
support is important.  I am also concerned about a future found security
problem that you are ETOOBUSY to deal with and someone else totally
unfamiliar with the code has to deal with it.

At the moment, I think your library code should just be part of your
FreeBSD Update code if you find you simply cannot use OpenSSL.  Or make
your library a port in which only a static library is provided.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)