[HEADSUP] IPX and NWFS to be killed in -current.

Boris Popov bp at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 9 01:19:39 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 04:56:21PM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:

> FYI, I have a substantial work in progress in the netperf branch to bring
> fine-grained locking to IPX/SPX, as well as to clean up a number of
> elements of its implementions (for example, moving the the queue(9)
> macros.  While I'm currently a bit stalled on it due to being overwhelmed
> at work (etc), my hope was to get the Giant-free IPX pieces working early
> next year.  I think there's a reference to this on the SMPng page showing

	These are perfect news.  As the former active maintainer of IPX
protocol stack and the author of NWFS I'm receive notable amount of complains
about IPX support in 5.X as people upgrade boxes from 4.X. For some
people it works but nwfs doesn't and vise versa.

	Addressing phk's request about removal: there was exactly 93
questions related to ipx/nwfs in November.  This indeed encourages me to
fix them.  Although, I can't promise anything at this point because
earning on life doesn't left much free time these days.

--
Boris Popov
http://rbp.euro.ru