HEADSUP: Change of makedev() semantics.

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 28 16:59:12 PDT 2003

On Sunday, 28 September 2003 at 19:46:20 -0400, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, 28 September 2003 at 23:22:07 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>> Basically:
>>>
>>> 	3. If you do a "normal" device driver, cache the result
>>> 	   from when you call make_dev().
>>>
>>> 	./dev/vinum
>>> 		Failure to cache result of make_dev() ?
>>
>> Where should this be cached?  Can you point to example code?
>
> Actually, it looks like Vinum is caching the dev_t's,

Ah, you mean saving the results rather than calling make_dev() every
time?  Yes, it only calls make_dev() once for any device.

> but it's not always using them to get back to the dev_t--sometimes
> it's invoking makedev() instead.  However, this appears to happen
> only in the vinumrevive.c code, so I'm not sure if that's a property
> of the cached reference being unavailable it looks like it should be
> available in that context though.

No, it should always be available.  I was going to say "I don't see
any references to make_dev() in vinumrevive.c, nor any references to
makedev() at all", but I see that VINUM_SD includes both.

> I.e., using sd->dev instead of VINUM_SD() -- it looks like there is
> a valid (struct sd *) reference there to follow, so you can get to
> the dev_t without doing a makedev().

Yes, this is a bug (and an indication of the dangers of using macros :-)
I'll fix it.

Greg
NOTE: Due to the currently active Microsoft-based worms, I am limiting
all incoming mail to 131,072 bytes.  This is enough for normal mail,
but not for large attachments.  Please send these as URLs.