sys/conf/DEFAULT[S]

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 24 14:03:43 PDT 2003

Now that we have 'nooptions' and 'nodevice' in kernel config files as well
as the ability to include other config files, I'd like to tweak config(8)
so that it automatically includes sys/conf/DEFAULT (or DEFAULTS) and
sys/${MACHINE}/conf/DEFAULT (S) when generating a kernel config and then
get rid of all the 'NO_*' options.

For example, NO_F00F_HACK could be renamed to a positive FOOF_HACK option.
sys/i386/conf/DEFAULT would contain 'options F00F_HACK' and if people
wanted to disable it they could use 'nooptions F00F_HACK' in their custom
config.

This would also make it easier to turn things on by default w/o requiring
that a kernel option get renamed to NO_FOO.  So, for example, with DEVFS,
turning it on by default could have been done by just adding
'options DEVFS' to sys/conf/DEFAULT rather than having to rename it to
'NO_DEVFS'.

Another thing this might help with is allowing for smaller kernels w/o
bloating normal config files.  For example, in 5.x we turned USER_LDT on
by default by just removing the option altogether.  We could have simply
moved USER_LDT to sys/i386/conf/DEFAULT and folks that wanted to build a
smaller kernel and didn't need USER_LDT could use 'nooptions USER_LDT'.

Just an idea.

Another nice thing, btw, might be to add a sys/conf/GENERIC that the
MD GENERIC's could include that would include common things like
'ident', 'FFS', 'INET', etc.