devd limitations / automounting removable storage

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Wed Sep 17 17:36:12 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 08:18:49PM -0400, Jeff Roberson wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > I was thinking about a more generic event posting mechanism, where
> > modules can register to receive notifications when events came in.
>
> Please use kqueue.  We should have 1 eventing mechanism in the kernel.

Right now, the way devd/devctl works, it simply polls that device for changes.

Interesting. Are you suggesting we ditch /dev/devctl and define event
filters instead inside NEWBUS? Assuming kqueue can be made to play with
SMP and that we can push Giant out of it this might not be such a bad idea.

The routing daemon I've been working on (currently stalled due to other work)
uses kqueue for all network and system event dispatch. I'm very happy with
kqueue.

BMS