devd limitations / automounting removable storage

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Tue Sep 16 16:53:36 PDT 2003

Hi,

I noticed that when I attach a USB key fob, I don't get a devd message to
say e.g. 'da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0'.

Any objections to adding devd notifications to the CAM layer? It would
allow us to automount such devices. Specifically I'm thinking that a
program to change the running automounter map could be used.

Of course, filesystems which could be removed at any time would have to
use synchronous I/O completion and preferably a log-structured filesystem
(see recent fsync/msdosfs bug and ohci problems).

What do people think?

Perhaps we could extrapolate this to when CDs are inserted into drives
(one for Soren...)

BMS