(proposal) new flag for pkg_delete

David Taylor davidt at yadt.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 07:39:54 PDT 2003

(I hope this is the right list)

Currently, pkg_delete's manpage states:

     -f      Force removal of the package, even if a dependency is
             recorded or the deinstall or require script fails.

It fails to mention that if -f is specified it will also delete any files
where the MD5 checksum is incorrect.  I have now been repeatedly bitten by
portupgrade wiping my configuration information because it specifies -f
(as it must, in order to remove packages which are still 'in use' by other
packages).

So, I have a proposal:

Create two seperate flags (open to ideas for what to call them, say '-F'
and '-m'), which work as follows:

	-F	works as '-f' is currently documented.
	-m	ignores MD5 checksums

Then change -f:

	-f	backwards compatability (activates -F and -m)

Then portupgrade could be changed to use '-F' instead of '-f' (or whatever
it is eventually called), and should stop deleting config files.

Any comments?

--
David Taylor
davidt at yadt.co.uk
"The future just ain't what it used to be"