Allow underscores in DNS names

Clement Laforet sheepkiller at cultdeadsheep.org
Mon Mar 31 13:35:55 PST 2003

Hi guys,

Currently underscore naming is commonly used in LAN/WAN environment. As
far as I known, there is only a few (none ?) internet wide host names
with underscore.

Allowing underscore is useful, but NOT mandatory, but for sysadmins it
would be like ssh SUID or ppp SUID : an option when you "build world".

I think that "non-vital" options should be supported but they MUST be
switched by sysops at build world stage.

> There was a better patch that made it an option in resolv.conf,
> rather than turning it on all the time.

maybe a variable in make.conf would be better.
Ex:
make.conf:
NOT_REALLY_RFC_COMPLIANT=YES

In realworld:
#ifndef NOT_REALLY_RFC_COMPLIANT
#define	hyphenchar(c) ((c) == 0x2d)
#else
#define	hyphenchar(c) ((c) == 0x2d || (c) == 0x5f)
#endif

To conclude, if BIND authors say "support underscore is a reality we
can't eclipse", let's follow them...

regards,

clem

PS : sorry for my poor english ;-)