Threading code review please.

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 27 07:04:01 PST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Jeff Roberson wrote:
> > I'm going to reply to the threads on 1:1 vs M:N tomorrow.  I'd like to
> > request that people actually read the patch and give me feedback on the
> > code and not the approach.
> >
> > I have no outstanding behavior problems with mozilla.  It actually runs
> > much faster now with libthr in place of libc_r.  On pages with LOTS of
> > images it scrolls much smoother.  I suspect its the amount of io waits.
>
> This is an SMP system you are talking about?

Both 1:1 and M:N threading will improve performance of interactive
applications if they spend any moderate amount of time I/O bound.  I've
noticed substantial performance differences between instances of
openoffice linked for libc_r and openoffice linked for linuxthreads --
serializing I/O operations substantially impacts throughput and
interactivty due to latency.  Try running the Linux-linked mozilla, the
FreeBSD libc_r mozilla, and the FreeBSD linuxthreads mozilla and see how
they compare.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories