1:1 Threading implementation.

Marc Olzheim marcolz at stack.nl
Wed Mar 26 09:18:30 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 03:36:57AM -0500, Jeff Roberson wrote:
> First, if your application has more threads than cpus it is written
> incorrectly.  For people who are doing thread pools instead of event
> driven IO models they will encounter the same overhead with M:N as 1:1.
> I'm not sure what applications are entirely compute and have more threads
> than cpus.  These are the only ones which really theoretically benefit.  I
> don't think our threading model should be designed to optimize poorly
> thought out applications.

Might I suggest that there are 'nice' C++ ways of using thread-classes
where both the usual C++ dogmas of readability and reuseability make you
easily end up with more threads than cpus...
I think that from a userland's point of view, most programmers shouldn't
be caring less about how many cpus the machine has their core is running
on.

With this (not limited to) C++ model in mind, the M:N way would be a
great thing to have.

Zlo