Per-source CFLAGS

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Sat Jun 21 21:55:31 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 05:51:24PM -0700, David Schultz wrote:
> The following patch adds support for per-file CFLAGS, which gets
> appended to the command line after the global CFLAGS.

Per file compilation options are in direct conflict with make
invocator control, by way of it being a makefile writer knob.
Put differently: it's a feature for developers, not builders.
We already see the problem with that when we define CFLAGS on
the make command line, rather than in the environment. I'm
not opposed to per-file options, but it seems to push the
need to split make invocator knobs from makefile writer knobs.
Until we have such seperation, I request that per-file options
be made conditional so that make invocators still have control
without being powerless.

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net