Patch to crunchgen to fix errors using make -P

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Jul 28 15:36:02 PDT 2003

At 2:02 PM -0700 7/28/03, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 25, 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  >
>>  Following up on what you figured out, I realized that we
>>  could also fix this by changing the line in
>>
>>  /usr/src/rescue/rescue/Makefile
>>
>>  so it's:
>>
>>	MAKEFLAGS= MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=${CRUNCHOBJS} crunchgen -q -m ...
>>
>>  A quick test showed that this allowed me to add all the debug
>>  flags I wanted to add, without having to change crunchgen.
>
>Good point, but I suppose the real question is whether we want to
>fix crunchgen in the general sense -- or just this one instance.
>I'm not opposed to either solution.

I am playing around with some make options that I *would* want
to pass through crunchgen (if I can get them to work right).  By
having only the change in the rescue/Makefile, it would be easy
to get that to happen when I want it to.  I don't feel too
strongly about it, but this just "feels" more flexible.

>If I don't hear anything, I'll commit the Makefile solution and
>possibly add a comment to crunchgen warning of the potential
>issues from the environment that crunchgen inherits.

It would probably be a good idea to put a short paragraph in
the 'CAVEATS' section of the man page.  Someday maybe we could
change crunchgen so it knew what output lines it could ignore,
but there's no need to worry about that right now.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu