Things to remove from /rescue

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 17 09:07:07 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:36:21AM -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> This is a crunched binary, so space is really not a big issue (plus,
> the basic set of libraries is probably some 300-400Kb, so discussing
> about adding/removing components which take 2-3 KB such as date,
> sleep, comcontrol, conscontrol is just pointless in my opinion;
> just convenience should be enough to keep some things around).
>
> For ipfw/natd, i admit that they might be fatter than what one might
> want, but then again they might be useful in case you have to access
> the outside world to grab things. What do you save by removing them ?

Build time, build overhead, having to keep src/rescue/librescue in sync
with the libs it takes from (things like -D, etc...), this isn't kitchen
sink linux, complication of rescue Makefiles, <I could go on>.

P.S. ipfw would be a lot more useful if the kernel-appl API were
versioned.  It isn't uncommon for the installed ipfw(8) to not work with
a random kernel.