Things to remove from /rescue

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Jul 17 02:43:14 PDT 2003

At 1:08 AM -0700 7/17/03, David O'Brien wrote:
>This is a list of binaries that I don't feel should be part
>of /rescue as it's mission is to recover/rebuild a "broken" /
>[due to all the binaries being dynamic].  Is there
>justification for keeping them?

>- date, one can use a watch if they really want to know it
>   is 5am and their system is down.

In my experience, it is often useful to be able to keep
timestamped logs during any system repair operation.  They
can be useful when you go to review what happened (at some
later time, after you have caught up on your sleep).

>- sleep, this is what the admin wishes he was doing at 5am
>   rather than trying to recover a borked system.  The admin
>   doesn't need the OS sleeping and delaying the repair.

For both 'date' and 'sleep', I would like to have them around
just in case I run some script which happens to reference them.
I admit this is just a "feel good" reason, I can't give a
specific example where this would come up in the middle of
repairing '/'.

A far as the rest of the files in your list, I can't think of
any reason I would need them to be in /rescue.  That's just my
opinion, of course.  It does make sense to keep /rescue as
small as possible.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu