4.x mbuf binary compatibility; can it be broken?

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Tue Jul 15 08:47:58 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> I think that breaking the ABI at the winter of 4.x is a bad idea. It
> would be bad at it's spring, but given the seriousness of the matter,
> perhaps a necessity. At this point, though? Dubious proposition...
>
> --
> Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)

Well, as it turns out, the machine which is actively exhibiting the
problem has had a NIC swap is went into active service, so I won't be
getting the test results which might justify an ABI breakage too soon.

In the meantime, I've been looking more, and it appears that I should be
able to hack around the limit without breaking the ABI.  (There may be a
performance penalty, but it should be extremely minor.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack