usb module orginization

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Mon Jul 7 14:39:09 PDT 2003

Paul Richards wrote this message on Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 20:47 +0100:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:16:17AM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > I would like to move the usb modules into a subdir like the many
> > other "groups" of modules already in the tree.  (i2c, digi, geom,
> > netgraph, to name a few)
> >
> > i.e. modules/usb/ucom, modules/usb/usb, modules/usb/aue etc.
>
> That'd be like putting all the pci drivers in the same dir; I think
> it's the wrong grouping. The error is that the USB drivers are in
> /sys/dev/usb, we spent a while moving drivers out of /sys/dev/pci
> and /sys/i386/isa so I don't think grouping by bus in /sys/modules
> is any more sensible.

But the pci is truely newbus'ifed.  The usb code doesn't make proper
use of newbus, and is really just a port from NetBSD.  So, it's a bit
different.  Also, usb is different than PCI in that it has well documented
"device" interfaces.  So unlike PCI there is a more limited number of
device drivers.  With your statements I do agree that any device drivers
that aren't part of the spec should be located else where, otherwise we
should break down PCI even more than they are now.

> It makes more sense to shift them around into /sys/modules/ether or
> /sys/modules/disk, which is why /sys/modules/sound is somewhat
> acceptable.

If you do the work for the others, I'll make usb follow that, but right
now I'm most interested in cleaning up the usb support.  Also, the ether,
disk, etc. has no precedence compared to the others.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579