[TRB] timer0 frequency change code removal

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Aug 18 18:51:58 PDT 2003

Hmm do I have to restate it?

1/ The original HEADSUP said it would remove the pca device.
No mention was made of removing the underlying clockspeed code.
My first objection was that it wouod be a pitty because

a) It was a cute trick I sometimes used on machines with no soundcard
that indicated some people have too much spare time :-)

b) It was the best (only) example code on how to use the clock-speedup
code, that I occasionally used and had heard of other using.

It was then revealed that all clock-speedup code would be removed
(acquire_timer[012]() etc.) in a stealth axing, not just pcaudio.

My objection was then suitably enlarged to note that:

a) This was a "known" ABI and the BSD tradition was to give one full
release notice of deprecation of an API/ABI.  (i.e remove it MAYBE
for 6.0 if it had a major deliterious impact on the system)

b) There had been some talk over the years of people using it for this
and that and such people would probably not be aware of its removal
until they hit it when upgrading. There was no attempt to find if there
are serious users of the function (a mail to -current doesn't even begin
to cover the userbase).

c) No alternative functionality was being offered for people who
wanted a variable frequency interrupt source. (i.e functionality was
being removed with no increase in functionality).

JHB pointed out that a major problem PHK claimed, could be solved with a
relatively simple patch.

At this time I believe that much of the code has already been removed
without reviewing objections. (unless I missed the reversion)

FreeBSD could get by without this code but it is not neccesary to remove
it in such an abrupt manner, Nor do I believe it has any major
deliterious effect on the system). The userbase was not even considerred
and I think that that needs to be done before it can be decided.