headsup: swap_pager.c

Andy Farkas andyf at speednet.com.au
Sat Aug 2 07:20:43 PDT 2003

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >You say
> >"bogo-vnode". Please explain what that means.
>
> A bogos vnode.

More would've been nice.

> >What does "in a pinch" mean??
>
> That for instance you are running out of swap, if NSWAPDEV==1 you cannot
> add another swapdev because the one and only slot is occupied (and the
> device is filled too).

"running out of swap" is a situation I was *not* in, yet my system was
totally unresponsive because it was continuously swapping. The physical
disk could not keep up with page-in demand. How am I supposed to magically
"add" another [physical] disk while the box is spasticly trying to swap
around a 200M plus working-set into 32M physical RAM. When you're box
starts swapping (in *my* experience) your box is fsck'd.

All I'm saying is that whatever you do with the code (and I don't give a
fsck what happens to it) it aint gonna fix, or change, anything. You are
wasting your time. And no, i'm not telling you what or how to code.

> >What do those numbers in kern.malloc mean??
>
> That the corresponding amount of RAM is unchangably occupied by a table
> which is 3/4 empty and therefore nothing else can use that RAM productively.

# sysctl kern.malloc | grep -i swap
         SWAP     2    73K    137K       12  64,65536

Again, more explaining would be good.

"corresponding amount of RAM" [you must mean the 73K and 173K values]
"unchangably occupied" [my values change as I add and remove swap devices]
"by a table which is 3/4 empty" [fixed by specifying NSWAPDEV=1]

Please, bash me more...I still dont understand why you are trying to fix
unbroken code... yes, I feel very alone in my crusade...

 :{ andyf at speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas
    System Administrator
   Speednet Communications