headsup: swap_pager.c

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Aug 2 04:43:50 PDT 2003

In message <20030802113334.GA96271 at freebie.xs4all.nl>, Wilko Bulte writes:

>> > no.
>>
>> You're not making it easy for me to understand.
>>
>> If GENERIC has NSWAPDEV=1 then there is no problem, you dont have to fsck
>> around with code that has been working for years, and everyone is happy.
>
>And you point is? There is constant fsck-ing around as you call it with
>code that worked for years. If not, we would still be using V6 on PDP..

(I'm not quite sure why I have not seen Andys original email, but I'll

Andy,

I can suggest 200 more worthwhile ways you could contribute to FreeBSD
rather than spend time telling me what to do or not do about code you
clearly do not seem to understand yourself.

In a situation like this, it would probably be a good idea to take a
clue from the lack of people walking in your parade, and maybe use
that to trigger an re-evaluation of your agitation.

Setting NSWAPDEV=1 is not an option, because that means that
administrators which find themselves in a pinch can not add another
swap-space to ride off a storm.

And yes, Wilko is spot on too.

If you want stagnation, go run a commercial unix.