`Hiding' libc symbols (was Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/gen ...)

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 30 18:16:09 PDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:54:22PM -0400, W. Josephson wrote:
> It is, in fact, much better than having to litter the
> code with underscores and guessing which ones have been forgotten
> or added this time around.

I don't like the underscores either.  But they are just a symptom of
the method we are using to hide symbols, and it is one reason why we
haven't hidden many of them already.  When someone cares enough to
come up with a better solution, it will then no longer be an issue.

> At least that has been my experience
> when trying to maintain portable software that must compile on a
> wide variety of Unix clones and Windows.

You don't have to add any underscores in your application code.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   . NTT/Verio SME      . FreeBSD UNIX       . Heimdal
nectar at celabo.org . jvidrine at verio.net . nectar at freebsd.org . nectar at kth.se