Removal of the old rc system from -current

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Tue Apr 29 05:25:05 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 02:28:54PM -0500, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
> From: "Doug Barton" <DougB at freebsd.org>
> > 2. Backport /etc/rc.subr to RELENG_4 prior to 4.9-Release. The purpose
> > here is to allow ports authors to make use of the rcNG system for their
> > startup scripts, and to possibly allow us to backport major features that
> > just work better in the NG framework.
> >
> I started porting my ports rc scripts to work on both rcNG and rcOG systems.
> In this process I found the ideal solution for the ports rc.d script:
>
>     1. define default port variables in the script
>     2. check for /etc/rc.subr
>         a. if rc.subr exists, use rcNG style
>         b. if rc.subr not exists
>             1. source /etc/defaults/rc.conf (or /etc/rc.conf)
>             2. use rcOG style

Actually, this ought to be more like:
	b. if rc.subr does not exist
		1. source /etc/defaults/rc.conf
		2. if the source_rc_confs function exists, execute it
		3. if the source_rc_confs function does not exist,
		   try to emulate it by checking for the files listed
		   in the rc_conf_files variable and sourcing them if
		   they exist.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
This sentence claims to be an Epimenides paradox, but it is lying.