/etc/netstart patch update (Was: Re: [FreeBSD-rc] Re: RFC: Removal of the old rc system from -curr ent)

Mike Makonnen mtm at identd.net
Mon Apr 28 21:22:04 PDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:18:50 -0400
John De Boskey <jwd at bsdwins.com> wrote:

> Some comments:
>
>    Is there a reason we have atm1, and then atm2.sh & atm3.sh? This
> naming scheme does not seem to be followed by any of the other
> numerically postfixed scripts.

If a script has a '.sh' suffix it means that it's is run inside the callers
process. Otherwise, the default is to run the script in a subshell. In rcNG this
means that if you need persistence of a variable from one script to another you
need to give it a .sh suffix. The atm2.sh and atm3.sh scripts share a couple of
variables, so it was necessary to have them execute in the same process as
/etc/rc. Ideally, this shouldn't happen, but I don't have an ATM interface and I
don't know how it's supposed to be setup, so I left those scripts largely
untouched in hopes that someone who does use them can rewrite the scripts for
rcNG.

>    I believe etc/network_ipv6 needs the following patch:

Correct. Thanks.

> I can deal
> with atm?.sh if folks think it should be done.

If you know what you're doing with ATM, yes please. Otherwise, please leave them
as they are.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc