[FreeBSD-rc] Re: RFC: Removal of the old rc system from -current

Scott Long scott_long at btc.adaptec.com
Sun Apr 27 06:03:38 PDT 2003

Doug Barton wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Doug Barton wrote:
>

>>Before you have another knee-jerk REaction to my proposal, please stop and
>>think about how much different this scenario is than something like a
>>kernel interface or binary.
>

> It occurs to me that this may have come out sounding a lot harsher than I
> meant it. I'm certainly not implying that Scott is a bonehead, that's
> obviously not the case. This situation actually is very different than
> other release engineering concerns, which is why I'm saying, "stop and
> think" about it.
>
> It also occurred to me that part of the problem here is that I failed to
> make these differences clear in my original post. I think it's just a case
> of being so close to the code that I had assumed it was obvious to
> everyone. :)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Doug

Doug,

My premise is this: there are people who cvsup and build world on a
regular basis, track current@, etc, and there are those who are only
interested in running official releases.  My concern is not the first
group, but the second group.  The old rc system has been around for
quite some time, and it might be a shock if it disappears without
warning.  The fact that 5.1 has the possiblity of being a worthly
release means that more people are likely to jump straight from 4.x
to 5.1, and might not be aware of rcNG from 5.0.  These aren't the
people who will be doing mergemaster, these are the people who will
install from CD then might try to configure things in the way that
they used to be familiar with.
Your change to src/etc/rc looks great and is exactly what I had in
mind.  Looking at the other feedback that this thread has gotten,
rcNG appears to be a hit and is greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot
for yours and others hard work.

Scott