[FreeBSD-rc] Re: RFC: Removal of the old rc system from -current

Lars Eggert larse at ISI.EDU
Sat Apr 26 20:49:01 PDT 2003

On 4/26/2003 5:55 PM, John De Boskey wrote:

> I did notice something the other day, though, that I have a
> question about.  What is the status of /etc/netstart?  Are there
> plans to upgrade it to be aware of rcNG?

I have a "nettoggle" script at http://www.isi.edu/larse/etc.html that
tries to reimplement netstart under rc_ng, and also tries to provide the
corresponding inverse netstop functionality.

The general idea is that "nettogle stop" should get you to a state where
the location.sh location-detection stuff (on the same page) can reconfig
things, and a "nettoggle start" then brings the services back up.

The nettoggle stuff is very lightly tested, the loction stuff is quite
stable. The nettoggle stuff is kinda hackish right now and needs to be
better aligned with the rest of rc_ng.

(Feedback very welcome.)

Lars
--