Sharing code between kernel and userland....

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Apr 9 09:08:13 PDT 2003

In message: <32183.1049881186 at critter.freebsd.dk>
            Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
: Amongst the options I see for avoiding code duplication are:
:
: 1.
: 	put it in sys/geom/bsdlabel_encode.c
: 	have libdisk pull it into userland from there.
:
: 2.
: 	put it in sys/libkern/disklabel.c
: 	have libdisk pull it from there.
:
: 3.
: 	put it in some more or less random place in the kernel
: 	have libdisk pull it from there.
:
: 4.
: 	use static __inline ... in <sys/disklabel.h>
: 	It is after all a rather trivial bit of code, but not quite
: 	trivial enough to make me comfortable with this.
:
: What do people think ?

Why reinvent a way of doing it.  Put the thing in sys somewhere
(sys/geom) and use a reachover Makefile like cam does (simplified from
the actual Makefile a little):

LIB=		cam
SRCS=		camlib.c scsi_cmdparse.c scsi_all.c scsi_da.c scsi_sa.c cam.c
INCS=		camlib.h

.PATH:		${.CURDIR}/../../sys/cam/scsi ${.CURDIR}/../../sys/cam

SDIR=		${.CURDIR}/../../sys
CFLAGS+=	-I${.CURDIR} -I${SDIR}

.include <bsd.lib.mk>

just have libdisk do the same thing.