Add timecounter option to rc.conf

Dag-Erling Smorgrav des at ofug.org
Sun Apr 6 13:02:57 PDT 2003

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> In message <xzp1y0fmpb5.fsf at flood.ping.uio.no>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
> > The attached patch adds a timecounter option to rc.conf and an rc.d
> > script to handle it.
> What's wrong with using /etc/sysctl.conf for this ?

Partly because I believe that the choice of timecounter hardware is
sufficiently important to the performance and correct operation of the
system to warrant its own rc.conf knob, and partly because I hate the
"configuration diaspora" of which sysctl.conf is a prime example.

(another such example is ntp.conf - the needs of most ntpd users can
be met with an ntp.conf generated automatically from information which
is already present in rc.conf)

DES
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des at ofug.org