file corruption

Ben Paley ben at spooty.net
Wed Apr 26 06:47:07 UTC 2006

Hello,

This is more or less a copy of a message I sent to questions@ - someone kindly
advised me to try here.

I have apache-2.0.55_4 running on FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE on a laptop on a
small office lan. Whenever one of the other machines (mostly Macs) makes a
request for a certain page on my machine, it is delivered succesfully but the
file itself is absolutely scrambled beyond recognition into a binary file.
Subsequent requests rescramble it into a different but equally nonsense
binary.

I've looked with a binary editor and it really is completely messed up. I can
restore the file from a good archive copy, but every time the same thing
happens.

The file was originally created on a mac by Flash (it's a 1.1k html file which
just embeds a flash movie). Recently I copied it to and from a Solaris box
via ftp from an Windows NT machine (although it wasn't opened afaik - a long
story, clearly, which also involves a usb flash drive...).

Since I posted originally to questions@ I have noticed some other strange
corruptions, for instance a file which was fine on my machine but became a
binary (although it looked ok) after ftp onto a remote machine. This happened
with 2 different gui clients and the command line, and happened in ascii,
binary or auto mode.

If this is related, it seems to absolve apache... but I'm not sure it is.

Anyone have any ideas? The file itself is inconsequential, but I'm very
worried lest it should start elsewhere.

Cheers,
Ben