make apache2 not making mod_cgi

Clement Laforet sheepkiller at cultdeadsheep.org
Sat Jul 30 07:45:18 GMT 2005

Hi John,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:03:50PM -0500, John R. Owens wrote:
> First asked over in FreeBSD-Stable, until I realized that was the wrong
> place for it. Then at FreeBSD-Ports, until I fgured there was an even
> more specific place for it.
>
> I'm new to FreeBSD and ports, and don't know make well yet, so this
> could just be something I messed up on my own, redoing the ports tree
> and all. But the first couple of times I remade apache2, I got a
> mod_cgi.so installed. Now, the past couple of times I've remade it
> (perhaps since Wednesday or so?), it's making all the modules I want
> except mod_cgi. I've cvsup'ed a couple of times since then, and I've got
> WITH_MISC_MODULES=yes, but in config.log I find this:
>   $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-layout=FreeBSD
> --with-perl=/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.7 --with-port=80
> --with-expat=/usr/local --with-iconv=/usr/local
> --libdir=/usr/local/lib/apache2 --includedir=/usr/local/include/apache2
> --enable-v4-mapped
> <snip a bit of irrelevant modules etc.
> --disable-autoindex --disable-asis --disable-cgid --disable-cgi
> --disable-negotiation
> <snip>
> --enable-mods-shared=access auth auth_anon auth_dbm auth_digest dav
> dav_fs ldap auth_ldap actions alias asis autoindex cache cern_meta
> charset_lite deflate dir disk_cache env expires file_cache headers imap
> include info log_config logio mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite
> setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias proxy
> proxy_connect proxy_ftp proxy_http ssl suexec cgid suexec
> --with-mpm=worker i386-portbld-freebsd5.4 --prefix=/usr/local
> i386-portbld-freebsd5.4
>
> Note that in --enable-mods-shared, the rest of the MISC category is
> included, except cgi. I also find these lines in Makefile.modules that
> might be relevant (since I'm not familiar with make syntax, I'm not sure
> under what conditions these lines will be active):
> WITHOUT_MODULES+=   cgi
> MISC_MODULES=       actions alias asis autoindex cache cern_meta \
>                 cgi charset_lite deflate dir disk_cache env expires \
>                 file_cache headers imap include info log_config logio mime \
>                 mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status \
>                 unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias
>
> So, if it's not actually broken in the port, how do I fix it so it
> installs mod_cgi on my system? Even if it is just a dirty hack to inject
> the option into a Makefile or configure. If it's broken in the port, of
> course, that should probably be fixed!
>
> I ran make in script, and found this amongst the output:
> checking whether to enable mod_suexec... checking dependencies
> checking whether to enable mod_suexec... shared
> checking whether to enable mod_cgid... shared
> checking whether to enable mod_cgi... no
> checking for pthread_kill... no
> checking whether to enable mod_dav_fs... shared
> checking whether to enable mod_vhost_alias... shared
>
> but I suppose that should be fairly evident from the config.log.

> [...]

You're trying to use mod_cgi with a threaded MPM (worker). According
to mod_cgi documentation (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_cgi.html):

"When using a multi-threaded MPM under unix, the module mod_cgid
should be used in place of this module. At the user level, the two modules
are essentially identical."

apache2 ports just do the job for you.

clem