ports tree unstable now

asami at FreeBSD.ORG asami at FreeBSD.ORG
Sun Aug 23 17:31:18 PDT 1998

Hello ports users,

As some of you may have noticed, the ports tree is currently
undergoing major overhaul.  Some new variables have been added to
bsd.port.mk, and some existing ones have disappeared.  Also, the
recent perl5 upgrade has caused a few dozen ports to simply stop
working.  I apologize for the confusion.

We are fixing them now, but it will take a few more days.  In the
meantime, I suggest that you be extremely careful if you are cvsupping
the ports tree.  Some things are really broken and will cause others
to fail utterly.

At least, make sure you have the latest bsd.port.mk if you still want
to venture into dangerous waters.  If you use an old bsd.port.mk with
the latest ports you may see an entire port install files in a wrong
location (/usr/local vs. /usr/X11R6).  (I've heard someone installed
ports/x11/XFree86 with and old bsd.port.mk and have the whole X
installation end up in /usr/local -- that's disaster, to say the
least! ;)  The latest version of this file (the Id string) is 1.284
for -current and 1.227.2.46.

I will post another announcement to this list when I believe all ports
are fixed.  Until then, I recommend people who aren't following the
ports list or cvs list to use packages.  Packages-stable is being
populated now as I speak, those should give you much better luck than
ports.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Satoshi (and the great ports team)

This is the moderated mailing list freebsd-announce.
The list contains announcements of new FreeBSD capabilities,
important events and project milestones.
See also the FreeBSD Web pages at http://www.freebsd.org

with "unsubscribe freebsd-announce" in the body of the message