[CFT] gcc: support for barcelona

Pedro Giffuni pfg at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 30 16:16:40 UTC 2013

On 29.05.2013 11:06, Warner Losh wrote:
> On May 29, 2013, at 2:47 AM, David Chisnall wrote:
>
>> On 29 May 2013, at 07:57, Andriy Gapon <avg at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>>> In fact, I am of opinion that while such bugs exist gcc should be crowned back
>>> as a default compiler.
>> Seriously?  Your show stopper bug is that, very occasionally, clang emits incorrect debug info?  And Steve's is that clang emits code that is fully compliant with the C standard, but gives more floating point precision than he wanted?
>>
>> If those are the most serious problems we have with clang, then it's time to remove gcc 4.2.1 from the tree right now.  I wish the problems that we had with it were so trivial...
> NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

> There are serious problems with clang on arm right now. And it doesn't support mips. Removing gcc is way premature.
>
> Warner

I didn't meant to start a clang vs gcc thread but it's evident that
we were actually in need of expressing the issues about clang
and the future of the tool chain.

IMHO:

- gcc has to go. It is old and, despite the scotch tape, unmaintained.
libstdc++ in particular really has to go first: it is too confusing to
have two C++ libraries where one of them is simply obsolete.
OpenOffice, for example was recently ported to clang and libc++
however it will not work with the libstdc++ in base due to lack of
C++11 support.

- clang is not ready but it is getting there: I appreciate greatly having
compiler_rt and the new C++ stack available. Unfortunately I do agree
with the opinion that clang is taking too long to build and has become
a bottleneck for buildworld.

Now I would really like to see both gcc and clang living as packages outside
of base. This would also mean that the installer has to start learning about
pkgng (which is one of the things I miss about sysinstall).

It's all wishful thinking though so I just want to thank everyone that is
doing the real work both making an external toolchain possible and
improving clang support.

Regards,

Pedro.