amd64/164036: Moused fails on 9_0_RELENG

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 17 15:17:23 UTC 2012

On Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:20:15 am Justin Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Justin Smith <freebsd.users at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> Err, not a BIOS setting, but actually editing the AML.  Assuming you
edited
> >> the ASUS AML, can you show me a diff of the original and modified AML?
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Baldwin
> >
> > Okay, will do that tomorrow, its 1:12 am, need some sleep. Have a great
day.

> I tried editing BIOS with AMITOOLS but it failed and I wasn't able to
> boot the box, had to reset the BIOS in order to boot again. I have
> limited expertise and I think I wont be able to do this. What has
> changed between 8_2_RELENG and 9_0_RELENG? I used same hardware for
> 8_2_RELENG and 8-STABLE, the mouse worked there.

You don't need to edit the BIOS.  You take the output of acpidump -d, edit
that in a text editor as I had suggested earlier, then follow the instructions
in the acpi(4) man page (OVERRIDING YOUR BIOS BYTECODE section) to compile the
edited version and use it instead of the one your BIOS provides.

--
John Baldwin