AVX

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 20:22:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 10:37:47AM +0100, Yamagi Burmeister wrote:
> First, thank you for working on AVX, it's much appreciated.
>
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 21:59:13 +0200
> Kostik Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T6670  @ 2.20GHz (2194.55-MHz
> > > K8-class CPU) Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x1067a  Family = 6  Model
> > >   = 17  Stepping = 10
> > > Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,
> > >   MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
> > > Features2=0x408e3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,
> > >   PDCM,SSE4.1,XSAVE>
> > > AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM> AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
> > Is this Features excerpt from the patched kernel, or from pristine svn
> > sources ? If the later, please show me the Features from the patched
> > kernel.
>
> That was the output of the patched kernel.
I see. The issue was that cpu_feature2, which is decoded to print the
Features2 line, is retrieved much earlier then XCR0 is updated by
fpu initialization code. I added a cludge to reload cpu_feature2 if
XSAVE was indeed enabled. So now you should see OSXSAVE reported if
XSAVE is indeed enabled.

> > I thought that I correctly handled savectx, but apparently I did not.
> > The issue for sleep enter could be fixed by the avx.4.patch, I am not
> > sure about shutdown -r panic.
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/misc/avx.4.patch
>
> Both panics are gone. The system goes into suspend just fine and even
> resumes. And no more panics at reboot.
Very good, thank you for testing.

I decided to avoid use of __fillcontextx() for !x86 architectures for now,
since nobody seems to know what happens on sparc64. Florian, can you,
please, retest the defer_sig to see if it works now ?

I hope that this is commit candidate:
http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/misc/avx.5.patch