AVX

Yamagi Burmeister lists at yamagi.org
Sun Jan 8 16:41:36 UTC 2012

Hi,
I've tested your patch on a Core2Duo with XSAVE but (of course) without
AVX on 10-CURRENT as of today (r229812):

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T6670  @ 2.20GHz (2194.55-MHz
K8-class CPU) Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x1067a  Family = 6  Model
  = 17  Stepping = 10
Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,
  MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
Features2=0x408e3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,
  PDCM,SSE4.1,XSAVE>
AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM> AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>

Everything's fine:
- System is booting without a problem
- All applications are working
- AVX applications are still failing with SIGILL

But there's one problem: While a shutdown (shutdown -p now) is always
successfull a reboot (shutdown -r now) and suspend (zzz) are resulting
in a double panic. The first panic is a "Fatal trap 9: general
protection fault while in kernel mode" on "cpuid = 1; apic id = 01".
The process is always "idle: cpu1".

The second panic is also "Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while
in kernel mode" but with "cpuid = 0; apic id = 00". The process is
always "init".

Since it's a dual core cpu, one panic for each processor core?

I'm unable to get a core dump and ddb is unresponsive to any keyboard
input. A serial console is unavailable, since it's a laptop...
Nevertheless I've uploaded screenshots of both panics to:

 http://deponie.yamagi.org/freebsd/debug/avx

--
Homepage:  www.yamagi.org
XMPP:      yamagi at yamagi.org