Erratic RF USB Keyboard and Mouse Behavior

Thomas D. Dean tomdean at speakeasy.org
Sun Feb 5 00:03:58 UTC 2012

I don't think this is amd64 specific, but, ...

 > uname -a
FreeBSD P9X79.tddhome 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #0: Sat Jan 28
10:11:39 PST 2012     tomdean at P9X79.tddhome:/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

 > dmesg
ugen3.3: <Chicony> at usbus3
ukbd0: <Chicony HP 2.4Ghz Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, class 0/0, rev
2.00/1.11, addr 3> on usbus3
kbd2 at ukbd0
ums0: <Chicony HP 2.4Ghz Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, class 0/0, rev
2.00/1.11, addr 3> on usbus3
ums0: 3 buttons and [XYZ] coordinates ID=4
Root mount waiting for: usbus3 usbus2
ugen3.4: <vendor 0x0cf3> at usbus3

The mouse frequently becomes non-responsive, freezing in one spot.
Moving the mouse for several seconds frees it.  Picking the mouse up and
sitting it down does it faster.

The keyboard on a more infrequent basis stops responding.  During one
instance, I pressed a key 8 times before the character was echoed on the
display.

Suspecting interference, I moved the machine to the opposite side of the
room with little or no improvement. There are no other RF keyboard/mouse
systems nearby.

I tried changing USB ports with no change.

Any ideas?

Tom Dean