amd64/162936: fails boot and destabilizes other OSes on FreeBSD 9 RC2 with MSI P6N SLI Platinum

Kevin Ar18 kevinar18 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 02:40:09 UTC 2011

>Number:         162936
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       fails boot and destabilizes other OSes on FreeBSD 9 RC2 with MSI P6N SLI Platinum
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Using the "FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img"

* System refuses to complete boot
* No hard drives show up in GEOM / rootmount prompt
* Bluescreens Windows after reboot; must cut power
* After powerdown, networking (internet) does not work in Windows right away ... takes some time to start working again.

Details:
1. Tried the "FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img" on both a memory stick and an IDE hard drive (the results are the same).
2. On boot, gives several errors:
usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT,
ignored)
Root mount waiting for: usbus1
Root mount waiting for: usbus1
Root mount waiting for: usbus1
Root mount waiting for: usbus1
Root mount waiting for: usbus1
Root mount waiting for: usbus1
(Since I don't have log, I copied from this source: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-July/063196.html)

3. Eventually it ends up at rootmount> prompt
4. If I type "?", no GEOM devices show up.  Guess it can't detect any drives... USB, IDE, or SATA.
5. After reboot, and trying to boot Windows I get a bluescreen stop error.  Must cut power to regain control.
6. After second reboot, in Windows, networking is offline and takes some time to get working (several seconds).  This might not be OS related; it could be my router resetting from the power.

Also tried:
hints.acpi.0.disabled = "1"
Result: the boot process did not get very far.  It said something about not detecting a timer and panicking.  I think I also noticed it couldn't detect some cores/cpus.

hints.apic.0.disabled = "a"
Result: the boot didn't get far. Page fault.

Related items:
This bug report has a lot of similarities: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/118842
Note the problems with not detecting drives, and the same nForce 650i chipset.

This bug report also has similar similarities:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=121305&cat=kern
Problems detecting drives and the same motherboard and chipset.

This report also may have some relevance:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-July/063196.html
I see some of the same errors (as noted earlier).
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
If you need more exact log info, you may need to tell me how I can save/log it properly.