Problems building Mysql55-server port (no suitable checksum found)

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Mar 1 17:58:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 14:58:28 +0100
Olaf Greve <ogreve at millennics.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if the problem I'm about to describe is known and/or has been dealt with previously, but I couldn't find any suitable hits on it using Google; so I hope I'm not flogging a dead horse here. :P
>
> The set-up is as follows:
> Years ago I installed a server using 5.4-RELEASE AMD64, with a custom kernel.
> uname -a
> Gives me the following (anonimised) output:
> FreeBSD anon.nl 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Thu Oct 13 01:02:19 CEST 2005     root at anon.nl:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/ANONKERNEL001  amd64
>
> I installed the ports tree in the standard manner back then, and always successfully used it to install ports.
> Now, it has been quite a few moons since I last had to do something on that machine, but such a situation has now arissen, and.... ...of course I tried to go 'the ports' way.
>
> What I tried doing (everything as root, so no rights issues...) was to first manually deinstall my old versions of php4 (and extensions), mysql 4.0.x and Apache 2.2.x. No problem.
>
> Then, I updated the ports tree ('all' collection) using the standard call: /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile
>
> Again, no problem and the tree refreshed just fine.

You're not done yet. Your system is no longer supported - meaning the
ports tree may expect the system to provide things aren't there on
your system, like:

> Then, the problems started to arise when I tried to 'make' the mysql55-server port, as it buggered out (regardless of what make target I used) stating:
> # cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql55-server
> # make config
> "Makefile", line 48: Could not find bsd.port.options.mk
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>
> After searching using Google I found out that that file should be present in /usr/share/mk and that it was not there! No idea why it was missing (I think all, or most of the other ones were there), but copying it from /usr/porst/Mk to that directory at least resolved this issue.

It's missing because it wasn't there in 5.4.

> Now then... with all seemingly fine, I tried to make it using the following call:
> make INSTALL_MYSQLDATADIR=/usr/local/mysql WITH_CHARSET=utf8 WITH_XCHARSET=all WITH_COLLATION=utf8_unicode_ci install
>
> However, it again buggers out, after having downloaded the package. A 'make clean' also doesn't help. This time it complains about the checksum. As per the below output:
>
> make INSTALL_MYSQLDATADIR=/usr/local/mysql WITH_CHARSET=utf8 WITH_XCHARSET=all WITH_COLLATION=utf8_unicode_ci install
> ===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
> ===>  License check disabled, port has not defined LICENSE
> ===>  Found saved configuration for mysql-server-5.5.9
> ===>  Extracting for mysql-server-5.5.9
> => No suitable checksum found for mysql-5.5.9.tar.gz.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/databases/mysql55-server.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/databases/mysql55-server.

In 5.4, ports were checksumed with MD5. Since then, they've pretty
much all transitioned to SHA256, and no generally longer bother
including the MD5 checksum. 5.4 doesn't have a tool to do SHA256
checksums, so you can't verify the checksum that the port has.

> Previously I never had issues such as the above with this system and the ports structure and this is issue nr. 2 already in a single port :(
>
> Does anyone know what might be going on, and more importantly, how to fix this (if necessary by reinstalling the entire ports tree)? Does this sound like the mysql-server-5.5.9 port is perhaps flaky, or is my system messed up or too outdated or so?!?

You got it with the last one. Your system is too outdated to run a
current ports tree. FeeBSD 5.4 was EOL'd in 2006, and 5.5 in 2008.
You'll should probably update to a supported version of FreeBSD
(meaning *at least* 7.3). Alternatively, try checking out a five-year
old copy of the ports tree and building with that - but that's *still*
unsupported software.

	    <mike
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.