amd64/153935: system hangs while trying to do 'shutdown -h now' after resuming from ACPI suspend

Sebastian Chmielewski chmielsster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:20:08 UTC 2011

>Number:         153935
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       system hangs while trying to do 'shutdown -h now' after resuming from ACPI suspend
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD chulak.pl 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #0: Tue Jan 11 19:41:19 CET 2011     root at chulak.pl:/disk0/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP  amd64
T5500 Dual Core 2 CPU (ASUS F3F Laptop)

Systems hangs displaying message:

The operating system has halted.

Please press any key to reboot.

Rebooting...

cpu_reset: Stopping other CPUs

when shutdown -h now is used to switch off the system after resuming from ACPI suspend.

I've tried to debug this issue but setting break at 'generic_stop_cpus' by using gdb seems to be impossible:

cpu_reset: Stopping other CPUs

Fatal double fault

rip = 0xffffffff803e7cf0

rsp = 0xffffff8000023018

rbp = 0xffffff8000023050

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00

panic: double fault

cpuid = 0

KDB: stack backtrace:

#0 0xffffffff803dd2be at kdb_backtrace+0x5e

#1 0xffffffff803a97d7 at panic+0x187

#2 0xffffffff80645694 at dblfault_handler+0xa4

#3 0xffffffff8062d7ed at Xdblfault+0xad

KDB: enter: panic

System does not hang when 'Poweroff' button is pressed (except the case when pressing the button is not working, this is why 'shutdown -h now' is used)

>How-To-Repeat:
- power on
- use command 'zzz' or Fn+F1 hotkey to suspend the system
- resume
- use command 'shutdown -h now'
- system hangs with message posted above