Boot Loader Conf

Gary Jennejohn gljennjohn at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 20 10:25:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:01:19 +0100
Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn at googlemail.com> wrote:

> tomdean wrote:
> > FreeBSD 9.0 (RC2) amd64. up-to-date.
> >
> > I want to load a module, nvidia, on boot.
> >
> > /boot/loader.rc contains
> >   include /boot/loader.4th
> >   start
> >
> > /boot/loader.conf contains
> >   cpuctl_load="YES"
> >   nvidia_load="YES"
> >
> > /boot/modules/ directory contains
> > nvidia.ko
> > /boot/kernel/ directory contains
> > cpuctl.ko
> >
> > But, the modules are not loaded.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> There's no cpuctl_load or nvidia_load in /boot/defaults/loader.conf in
> 9.0 or 10.0 (I looked at the source on fxr.watson.org for 9.0 since I
> run 10.0).  So there's no way that this can work.
>
> Load these modules in /etc/rc.local.
>
> What's missing from the nividia-driver port is a start script which
> should land under $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d.

Well, I was wrong. That's what I get for only looking at loader.conf.

Putting these into my loader.conf does result in the modules being
loaded at boot time, so I'm at a loss to explain why it doesn't work
for you (tomdean).

Looks like the loader is smart enough to interpret xxx_load to mean
"load module xxx from the usual module paths, if found."

Live and learn.

This makes me wonder what your kern.module_path is set to.  Mine is
kern.module_path: /boot/test;/boot/modules (I booted from /boot/test).

But loading them in rc.local will definitely work and automate it
for you.

--
Gary Jennejohn