Video Card for FreeBSD 9.0 (RC2) AMD64

Dieter BSD dieterbsd at engineer.com
Mon Dec 12 20:37:21 UTC 2011

Thomas D. Dean wrote:
>> I have been looking for a video card that FreeBSD 9.0 (RC2) AMD64
>> supports fully.  Nothing, so far.

Full support requires full documentation or full reverse-engineering.
nVidia is openly hostile towards FLOSS, I don't expect any
documentation from them in the forseeable future.  AMD/ATI is
working on documenting their chips, but seems to be concentrating
on features for games, and never getting around to UVD (video decode)
or GPGPU, etc.  The only fully documented card I know of is the Open
Graphics Project's OGP-D1, which is a PCI-X FPGA development card.
It has linux drivers, but I suspect it doesn't have support in BSD.

>> My monitor reports several modes that are not supported with the Vesa
>> driver.  The ones I am interested in are "1920x1080"x0.0, which I do not
>> understand and "1920x1080"x60.0.
>>
>> I want a 1920x1080 display.

Have you tried setting your own modeline?  I managed to get a
crappy onboard ATI RAGE XL to do 1920x1080.  (With help from some
nice folks on the questions@ list.)

O. Hartmann wrote:
> FreeBSD has fallen far behind the actual development of opensource
> drivers and techniques due to the lack of KMS and on the other hand the
> X11 developer seems to have forgotten that they have been called "open"
> in the golden years of UNIX. But now they have a narrowed down view that
> only focuses on Linux and its rapid, crappy development.

Is anyone working on KMS?